Monday 21 March 2011

Must Watch TV This Month

As a self confessed TV addict, I literally can't tear myself away from terrible TV. But then again, I think we're pretty lucky to live in an age where directors and writers are able to express themselves so visually to create progmames which can inform us on previously unknown processes and situations. Although not everything I watch is so artistically viable (i.e. Jersey Shore/The Only Way Is Essex/Secret Diary of a Call Girl), I do love a good reality programme which gives a genuine insight into others lives which I would never usually get to experience. Which is why at the top of my list this month is:


1. The Model Agency 
Wednesday, 10pm, Channel 4
This series follows Premier Model Management as they start to book shows for their clients and models at the beginning of London fashion week. Carole, the manager, is the epitome of a stressy manager and would be my absolute nightmare, which is why it makes for such great TV viewing. I love the idea of thinking nothing of flying over to NYC to do some casual model scouting, picking up a cheeky Chanel and having a beauts over sized Mulberry to take on the plane with me but somehow I just don't think thats feasible as a student...
Seriously though, these people's busy lifestyles at this time of year put mine to absolute shame, and I thought I was busy at the moment. If you want a perfect example of chic multitasking then this is a must watch!


2. The Agony and Ecstasy: A Year With The English National Ballet 
Tuesday, 9pm, BBC4
Having always admired the beauty, stamina and flexibility of ballet dancers, for me it is a real treat to be able to watch how such a range of different shows are put together and trained for. So far, two episodes have been aired showing the rehearsals for Swan Lake and Romeo and Juliet. One particularly interesting part of episode two showed 21 year old Max training for five separate roles in R&J, which was the first ballet of its kind to be so male oriented, choreographed in the 70s by Rudolf Nureyev. Max does a magnificent job of keeping it together but others do not go with out problems, particularly through flags, sword and dagger fights throughout the heavily prop oriented show.
The show also shows how the company feel about the recent government cuts and gives hints as to the fate of the company and its dancers in the next few years. A great watch for anyone who has an interest in the arts.


3. Lily Allen: From Riches to Rags
Tuesday, 10pm, Channel 4
Although Lily Allen voiced her recent objections to this new series, which follows Lily and her sister Sarah as they try to launch their new vintage clothing shop (Lily's way out of the pop industry) I really rather enjoyed it. It's a perfect example of the trails and tribulations of setting up a new business and the personal resolutions which each different person brings to the table. Sarah is a particularly interesting character: always in her younger sisters shadow, she is obviously eager to prove herself within this venture, to both her family and clients.  A trip to LA however could prove disastrous when she is handed Lily's credit card to stock up on lower price range clothes. With a less than sparkling financial record, this proves a huge challenge for Sarah. Defiantly made me crave my own business with an office full of flowers and a large Mac desktop computer...well, a girl can dream eh!


4. Masterchef
Wednesday, 9pm BBC1
For me this is an obvious choice and totally unmissable. I love cooking an have always thought that if I hadn't have got into uni I would have become a chef, so it's fascinating to see people who have finished said degrees and got bored of their jobs only to follow their true passion in life: cooking. Masterchef has taken on a new format this series which I'm already familiar with, having fallen in love with Masterchef Australia two summers ago from which this is developed. This year's contestants are seriously being pushed to the limit, having already completed a vegetarian challenge, been asked to recreate a top chef's dish and base a dish around the single element of an egg. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the amateur chefs develop their own style and progress though the series, and each episode leaves me looking forward to the next.




Enjoy!
Coco xxx

2 comments:

  1. I always love all those cooking shows, I'm a huge fan of the food channel... haha

    www.fashionablecollections.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that Lily Allen is really cool and this might be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete