Sunday 24 April 2011

Socks and Sandals: Yay or Neigh?

Every time I've opened a gossip magazine for the past few months I seem to have been confronted with a pap shot of Fearne Cotton rocking the latest socks and sandals look. Even in her recent High Summer collection for Very.co.uk's promo pics (above), Fearne is seen showing her retro side, giving an air of teen 70s glamor to the shoot. 


 I say latest, but this look has been around for a while, but on a very different end of the fashion spectrum...
Yes ladies and gentlemen: dads. Could it be that Ms. Cotton is now going so far as to take style advice from
those who have embarrassed us on endless beach holidays, museum visits and summer time picnics? Well, with the hoards of other celebrities who have also taken a shine to the trend taken into account, this surely can't  be the case, can it?

The trend seems to have stemmed from the geek chic debacle that happened last spring, and I think this is my favorite thing to have come out of it. Not only do the socks really help to accentuate pretty shoes, but they give any outfit that extra girly touch before hitting the shops. Wear frilly or lacy socks with tea dresses for a vintage look, or thick woollies with high wooden clunky heels for more of a fashionista feel. Also, if you're going mini and you're a little afraid of showing too much flesh, they can give you that tiny bit of extra coverage to help you feel a little less naked, a la Kelly Osbourne: 

I even tried this trend out myself this weekend. Although the rest of the country seems to have been bathed in sun this Easter weekend, Scotland wasn't so lucky. On Saturday night I was desperate to wear my new suede sandals from Topshop, but against the black of my tights they where unnoticeable. So, I pulled on some light blue crocheted socks and... 
I really enjoyed wearing this look, although I was a little dubious at first, and they even ended up getting a few compliments throughout the night.The blue really helped to accentuate the gold of the buckle too.
These ones where from Topshop, and cost £5, also available in peach and yellow. 


I think everyone should at least consider this look: go on, sock it to 'em. (Sorry.)

Coco xxx

1 comment:

  1. Yay..Really like the look,but dont think Im quirky enough to pull it off!Fearne Cotton rocks it! x

    ReplyDelete