Sunday 27 February 2011

The Return Of The Wide Leg

For the last few years, trousers have been all about the skinny. And although still in fashion, finally a fully fledged alternative has come full circle from the seventies to be reintroduced to the catwalks this season. Yes folks, curvy girls everywhere are rejoicing: the wide legged trouser is back. 
Personally, I couldn't be happier. Although the maxi skirt is also making a comeback this season, there is something ultimately more casual in a trouser. And once again, the highstreet has come up trumps, having taken inspiration from the likes of Chloe on the Autumn catwalks last year and creating an amazing selection of printed and pleated versions, usually for around £30-£45. 
I'd pair a plain set with huge chunky statement jewelery (like the 'Stag Skull' necklace from Galibardy.com, below) or a large turquoise ring (like the one from Urban outfitters, below) to keep that seventies vibe which is so lusted after this season. As for a printed pair, I'd go for a plain cami, vest top or even a three quarter length loose fitted shirt to avoid looking too busy. Try not to add full length sleeves or you risk looking a little too covered up. A nice detail such as pussy bow blouse, a leather belt or large, gold buttons will add that something extra to the outfit if you feel it needs it. 
Topshop
Topshop
Topshop
      Topshop, Miss Selfridge 

Miss Selfridge

     Miss Selfridge 

 ASOS

 Chloe, Autumn 2010
Galibardy.com


 Urban Outfitters
 
 Miss Selfridge, Topshop


While I'm on the subject of seventies fashion, I must mention Miss Selfridge. They are doing a great job of replicating some serious seventies styles with similar fabrics and fab prints, so if the style suits you they are a must. My favorite thing about their current collection is the gorgeous burnt caramel suede colour which runs through it, which they're calling 'rust'. The website doesn't do the clothes justice so pop in store if you want to have a lust over it. 
Peace out folks, Coco xxx

5 comments:

  1. I love this model of pants but my bf doesn't and we always fight about it but I always win.

    ♡ Tereza

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you should! It's a classic look! Coco x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure how I feel about the wide legged pants. I think i'll have to try them on and see, they may be a little too 70's for me.

    www.fashionablecollections.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete